The Chapel Paintings
The Chapel paintings are the result of quick intervention by the Friends of
Margate Cemetery. They were given use of the left hand chapel in the Margate
Cemetery as the services for burials now take place in the right hand chapel.
Having obtained a lease on the building, the ‘Friends’ commenced an internal
redecoration only to realise that beneath the plain surface was a fairly ornate
picture of angels to either side of the altar.
Careful work then continued and the
salvageable parts now remain for visitors to see. Research by
Mr. Alf Beeching has indicated that the local press reported in
1901 that both chapels were being renovated by a Mr. Gordon Hill.
Mr. Hill had a painting, and
song writing business at 27a Hawley Square, Margate while
he lived himself at Albert Terrace.
It is believed
that his son Edwin took over the business and operated as
a sign-writer at 1 Neptune Square. However, no record has currently been found
to show why the angels were seen as appropriate or where
the inspiration came from for the layout.